Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Benicia delegation to visit sister city for Mexican Independence Day party

Benicia delegation to visit sister city for Mexican Independence Day party
By LANZ CHRISTIAN BAñES/Times-Herald staff writer
Article Launched: 09/16/2008

BENICIA - For nearly 30 years, sister cities Benicia and Tula de Allende, Mexico, have enjoyed a beneficial partnership.

It was because of its Benician friends that Tula received its first garbage truck in 1980, and it is still being used today, said Leann Cawley, president of the Benicia / Tula Sister City Association.

Benicians also gave Tula two fire engines, 400 parking meters and, most recently, a medical van.

Now, the people of Tula will host 14 Benicians from Sept. 11 to Sept. 17.

"The major reason for the trip is to be there to help them celebrate their Independence Day," Cawley said.

Mexico celebrates its independence on Sept. 16.

Benicians visit Tula every other year around this time, while a delegation from Tula visits Benicia in the intervening years to celebrate the United States' Independence Day.

Last year, 21 children, all musicians, came from Tula for the July 4 festivities. The children had won a band competition in Tula, and through fundraising efforts and sponsors, the association was able to bring the children to Benicia.

Elly Harkins was so impressed by the amount of community involvement that she decided to join the association, and will be part of the delegation to Tula.

"It was just a marvelous setup. The children were so happy. All the participants were so happy," Harkins said. "I just thought it was a great cultural event."

Harkins will be just one member of her family going to Mexico this year.

"My children were involved last year. Now my grandson is coming, so three generations are going," Harkins said.

The trip will involve a variety of activities, including marching in the town's Independence Day parade. The group will also make a political side trip to Pachuca, capital of Hidalgo, the state where Tula is located. There, they will meet the governor of Hidalgo as well as members of the state Legislature.

The 14 Benicians traveling to Tula this year are all volunteers and have all paid their own way to Mexico, Cawley said. However, once there, the Benicia / Tula Sister City Association's counterpart in Tula will arrange for the group to stay with various host families who will house and feed the visitors.

"When we go there, they are just welcoming to us," Cawley said. "You've got to be careful with what you say you like because, by the end of the day, you'll own it."

The mayor of Hidalgo will entertain the group its first night there.

Cawley and her husband have been part of the association since 1979, and in 1982, they adopted a baby from Tula.

"We just wanted to be part of a community event," Cawley said. "I never thought that we would be adopting a child."

• E-mail Lanz Christian Bañes at lbanes@thnewsnet.com or call 553-6833.

Cycling club members pump each other up for bike rides

Cycling club members pump each other up for bike rides
By Joe Giovannetti | Daily Republic | September 12, 2008



Solano Cycling Club members Paul Torres, center, and Bill Kingson, in yellow make their way up Photo by Mike Greener

VACAVILLE - The warm summer wind blows briskly through the Davis Road Park and Ride parking lot off of Interstate 80 in Vacaville. The sun has just begun to set.

Here, six people on bicycles -- Glen Grant, John Stewart, Rick Baschiera, Marianne Baschiera, Bill Kingson and Paul Torres -- have gathered for the Solano Cycling Club's weekly Wednesday evening ride.

The Cantelow Ride, as it's known to the members, is a 20-mile journey that begins in downtown Vacaville and goes through Lagoon Valley before finishing back at the starting point.

The club members rate the Cantelow Ride as an intermediate-level ride; the 20-mile course includes a significant number of hills. Seasoned pros shouldn't have much trouble finishing it, though most people shouldn't expect to get up off the couch and complete it without some training first.

'We try to vary the difficulty of the rides so people of different levels can join,' said Glen Grant. 'The group is for people trying to get into cycling. There are other clubs in the area that are good for people who are good at cycling and have been doing it a long time. We do a variety of rides, some that are more difficult than others, but we encourage people who are new to it to come out and try it out.'

Grant has been with the club since 1993, one year after it was founded. Stewart has been attending for the last two years. Torres and Rick and Marianne Baschiera have been involved with the Solano Cycling Club from the beginning.

The newest member present at this Wednesday evening ride is Kingson, who joined the group in June.

'I moved here from Maine with my wife and we were looking for good rides and it wasn't easy to find them,' Kingson said. 'I enjoy cycling with all these cool people. Camaraderie, having people to ride with, lights a fire under you. When you know there is a ride and other people expect you to be there, lame excuses don't fly. They'll ask where you were.'

See the complete story at the Daily Republic online.

At a glance

For more information about the Solano Cycling Club, including information about scheduled rides, visit http://groups.yahoo.com and search Solano Cycling Club.

Vacaville charter school earns Blue Ribbon recognition

Vacaville charter school earns Blue Ribbon recognition
By Nika Megino | Daily Republic | September 12, 2008



Buckingham Charter School senior Jon Andrews, 18, works on making a new trailer for the movie Ghostbusters during a video production class Friday morning. Buckingham was recently named a Blue Ribbon school by the U.S. Department of Education. Photo by Brad Zweerink

VACAVILLE - Taryn Carter can't help herself. Whenever she sees the students and teachers at Buckingham Charter Magnet High School, the principal is overcome with a sense of pride.

Those students and teachers are reason why the school has earned national recognition as a Blue Ribbon School. Buckingham Charter is one of 320 schools in the nation to be named a 2008 No Child Left Behind-Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.

'It's a true testament to all the collaborative efforts in creating a culture of high expectations and high standards,' Carter said. 'I feel very proud.'

The Blue Ribbon program honors schools that have continuously met state and federal targets on standardized tests.

With a capped enrollment of 425 students and a staff of 30 teachers, Buckingham Charter has a focus on high expectations, assessment-driven decisions and building relationships, Carter said.

'Having that small learning community allows us to get to know our students. We can quickly identify needs of each student,' Carter said. 'That relationship is so key. Sometimes it takes one relationship to make that school experience positive.'

Carter, 31, has worked at the school for 11 years, but the 2008-09 school year is her first as principal. She was appointed in July to replace Bob Hampton, who left to take a position in the Mount Tamalpais School District.

After serving as assistant principal from 2004 to 2008, Carter said her primary goal as principal to build upon the school's record of achievement.

'We can always improve,' Carter said. 'Even though we have all these awards, there's always that one student we can help.'

Carter also takes pride in the school's unique programs. Buckingham Charter has often been acknowledged for its visual media arts department, which includes a recording studio, video studio and labs filled with the latest Macintosh computers.

See the complete story at the Daily Republic online.

Brothers bring family tradition to downtown

Brothers bring family tradition to downtown
By Audrey Wong | Daily Republic | September 12, 2008 12:46



Isilda Bosch, manager of Maya's Mexican Food, sits in the dining room of the downtown Fairfield restaurant. Photo by Brad Zweerink

FAIRFIELD - Raul and Vidal Castro have transformed the former Barb's Deli downtown to an eatery where families can dine on authentic Mexican food and adults can sip margaritas while watching sports at the bar.

The brothers helped operate their family's two restaurants in Mexico. The Castros are from the Mayan region of Mexico, hence the name of the business -- Maya's Mexican Food.

'Mom and dad started the business and we kind of continued in the same tradition,' said Raul Castro, co-owner and manager. 'We like to continue with a new shot out here in the states . . . Now we are kind of like spreading our wings by trying it ourselves.'

The owners of Barb's Deli sold the restaurant in 2006. Complications with contractors, floor plans and the architect stalled the opening of Maya's for months, although the place was furnished and neon signs hung in the windows.

The brothers hustled to launch their restaurant in time for the Tomato Festival in August. They aim to cater to both families and adults. Cooks whip up authentic fare from southern Mexico, but they plan to incorporate deli food for fans of the old Barb's Deli.

The roomy space with picture windows is available for private events. The Castro brothers also book bands, so they can arrange for music for any event. The bands range from Mexican and Spanish bands to jazz and country. The brothers prefer to book dance music.

See the complete story at the Daily Republic online.

Maya's Mexican Food
Who: Raul and Vidal Castro
Where: 735 Texas St., Fairfield
Hours: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily
Info: 399-9696

Sewer district wins award

Sewer district wins award
Article Launched: 09/15/2008

The Fairfield-Suisun Sewer District has been selected to receive a Silver Peak Performance Award for 2007.

The National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA) offers its Peak Performance Awards Program to recognize public wastewater treatment facilities which demonstrate outstanding compliance with national regulations governing water pollution.

The NACWA award, announced during the association's 2008 Summer Conference and 38th annual meeting in Anchorage, Alaska, showcases the achievements of the district and other qualifying public wastewater utilities nationwide. Fairfield-Suisun Sewer District's compliance record for 2007 demonstrates the agency's commitment to environmental stewardship and community responsibility.

The Fairfield-Suisun Sewer District protects public health and the environment by providing clean water services to the communities of Fairfield and Suisun City. For more information, contact Margaret Kralovec, environmental outreach specialist, at 428-9183, or mkralovec@fssd.com, or access district's Web site at www.fssd.com.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

City of Fairfield freeway improvements get under way

East Bay Business Times - September 11, 2008

Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 7:32 AM PDT
Fairfield freeway improvements get under way
East Bay Business Times - by David Goll Staff reporter

A symbolic start to construction work that will expand and improve the North Texas Street interchange with Interstate 80 in Fairfield will be held Thursday, with a groundbreaking ceremony scheduled for 3 p.m.

State Assemblywoman Lois Wolk, D-Davis, whose Eighth Assembly District encompasses Solano and Yolo counties, will be keynote speaker at the event, scheduled to be staged at the Paradise Valley Clubhouse in Fairfield. Work on the project being done through the city of Fairfield will get under way in earnest Sept. 22.

The project will include the following components:


Widening the North Texas Street/I-80 over crossing from two lanes to four lanes with eight-foot shoulders and the addition of a sidewalk on the south side. This will provide access for both pedestrians and cyclists.
A seismic retrofit of the 40-year-old bridge.
Relocation of the I-80 easterly on- and off-ramps to a new intersection with traffic signals at Manuel Campos Parkway. This will allow left turns for motorists coming from the Rolling Hills neighborhood from North Texas to eastbound I-80.


Construction is scheduled to be completed summer 2010. During the construction period, city officials have said they will ensure access to affected businesses on North Texas Street, including the Chevron and Arco AM/PM gas stations and the Hillside Terrace shopping area.

City officials have said they will be working with affected business owners to keep them informed during the construction and are staying in touch with the California Department of Transportation to minimize bridge and freeway closures. Residents should expect day and scheduled night work for improvements to the bridge and reduced lanes on North Texas Street, as well as temporary realignments of the street during the construction period.



dgoll@bizjournals.com

Widened Wilson Avenue debuts

Widened Wilson Avenue debuts
Tuesday's ceremony marks end of highly anticipated project
By SARAH ROHRS/Times-Herald staff writer
Article Launched: 09/10/2008



Mayor Osby Davis cuts the the ribbon along with City Council members, from left, Tom Bartee, Joanne Schivley, Erin Hannigan and Michael Wilson. (Chris Riley/Times-Herald)

The long-awaited Wilson Avenue widening project is finally finished, and about 50 local dignitaries and citizens gathered at River Park on Tuesday morning for a ribbon-cutting ceremony to mark the end.

Mayor Osby Davis said the project shows "what we have here in Vallejo is valuable and shows what we can have in Vallejo if we all keep working together." Continued investment in infrastructure and economic development is vital, he added.

The revamped section of Wilson Avenue running between Hichborn Street and Lighthouse Drive contains two lanes - one in each direction. The street also has a new landscaped median strip running down the middle, plus bicycle lanes and a walking path.

Public works officials said the project cost about $16 million, though final figures are not yet available.

Councilwoman Erin Hannigan and others said the work beautifies an entrance into Vallejo.

"We have a beautiful waterfront and a true gateway to the city," said City Manager Joe Tanner. "Waddya say? It's gorgeous."

Several residents said the work improves the neighborhood and makes people want to come outside to walk their dogs, watch the sunset, or jog along the waterfront's edge.

"It's amazing. It's changed the energy along the street," said Vallejo Heights Neighborhood Association president David Gates. He said the work has inspired some people to spruce up their properties.

Neighbors and others in Vallejo had strong concerns about the possibility of a four-lane thoroughfare running through the neighborhood. Gates said residents are happy with how the project has turned out.

Public Works Director Gary Leach said there are no plans to widen the road to four lanes - the third phase of the project.

The project also involved realigning Wilson Avenue, buying and demolishing several houses, upgrading sewer and water lines, putting utility lines underground and installing several features to slow down drivers, said city senior civil engineer Allan Panganiban.

The widening contract was awarded to North Bay Construction at $8.8 million, Panganiban said. Design work, buying properties and infrastructure improvements added to the costs. In 2006, the council approved a $3 million increase to cover costs.

Money for the project derived from a combination of state and federal grants, traffic impact fees, the Vallejo Sanitation and Flood Control District, and bonds to be repaid through general fund proceeds, Leach said.

The Wilson Avenue stretch between Hichborn and Highway 37 has been targeted for decades.

Leach said more than 40 years ago, the street was controlled by the state which had plans for a two-story freeway along Curtola Parkway and the waterfront. City Hall and other nearby buildings were built to face away from the waterfront because there was to be a freeway along it.

"Now we're trying to turn everything around," Leach said.

In the 1980s, the state relinquished Wilson Avenue to the city which later launched environmental documents, and neighborhood meetings for a widening project.

Leach said consultants worked with neighbors on the final designs, and special attention went into assuring the new roadway would blend into the neighborhood.

The work has hit rocky times over the years.

In the early 1990s, city plans for the street faced heavy opposition from many residents. Then, several years ago, the city used its legal powers to force some Wilson Avenue property owners to sell their buildings to make way for the work.

• E-mail Sarah Rohrs at srohrs@thnewsnet.com or call 553-6832.