April 29, 2010
Graduate programs rank high
By Clifton B. ParkerUC Davis received high honors in the newest U.S. News & World Report rankings of graduate and professional schools. Highlights include:
• School of Law — 28th out of nearly 200 accredited schools. It is also the youngest law school in the report’s top 30 rankings.
• Biological sciences — 20th overall among 233 schools.
• School of Medicine — 20th for primary care and 47th in research among 97 and 92 schools ranked, respectively, and 126 schools surveyed.
• Graduate School of Management — the full-time MBA program placed 42nd and the part-time program was 35th out of 99 schools rated and 433 schools surveyed.
• School of Education — 66th out of 179 schools ranked and 279 schools surveyed.
Beyond schools and colleges, other UC Davis programs ranked among the top 30 nationwide include:
• Engineering — 32nd overall out of 198 schools surveyed and ranked; biological and agricultural (5); environmental and environmental health (14); civil (16); biomedical and bioengineering (23); aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical (24); materials (26); and chemical (30).
• Biological sciences — ecology and evolutionary biology (3).
• Earth sciences — 17th overall.
• Mathematics — topology (13).
• Physics — 26th overall.
Each year, U.S. News & World Report ranks programs in business, education, engineering, law and medicine as professional programs. These ratings are based on two types of data: expert opinions about program quality and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school’s faculty, research and students.
Rankings of other grad programs are done every three years — they are based on reputational surveys of program chairs and grad studies directors.
Universities also receive annual rankings by U.S. News & World Report. While this year’s ratings have not been released, UC Davis last year placed 11th among public universities, and 42nd among all universities. Each increase was a gain on the prior year.
On the NetUC Davis Graduate Studies
U.S. News & World Report Rankings
Return to the previous page
|Current News | UC Davis in the News | Publications | Broadcast | Multimedia | Related News |News Service Resources|
Search/Archives | Facts & Figures | UC Davis Experts | Seminars/Events